A roundup of the most interesting things that have crossed Hilary’s desk this week (or last few weeks as the case may be when I’m WAY too busy.)
1.) What I’ve been up to:
• 3 weeks • 2 press releases • Over 1,000 volunteer extras in under 24 hrs • 1 tv station coverage • 1 newspaper article • 450+ likes/ followers on Facebook • 150+ followers on Instagram • all organically / no paid ads • and a currently unknown number of behind the scenes photos. . And this is just during the production phase of the movie! . Head over to @bgspiritsmovie to check out who all is in this photo. See what I did there? ? . #? #production #socialmedia #pressrelease #media #earnedmedia #moviemarketing #movie #film #moviestar #lexingtonky #lexky (I will note that that many volunteer extras is NOT likely in LA. Just sayin.')
[swipe ?? for final] I don’t get to choose the lighting during events. And I also prefer not to blind or distract people from the experience with a camera flash. That doesn’t mean all photos posted have to be bad. . #filters can be useful but sometimes you need full on #colorcorrection . Yes Photoshop & Lightroom on a computer are wonderful but this was all done from an iphone for speed. #eventsocialmedia #socialmediamarketing #beforeandafter #experiencedesign
Happy dance! ? . Old phone left (a 5s) & my new precious on the right. IPhone X. . In recent years I walked into the Apple store no fewer than three times and couldn’t bring myself to buy the larger iphone Plus as an upgrade. First with the 6s and then with the 7. Couldn’t do it. . PLEASE do not make me regret early adoption on this!!! . Iphone on the left is in an amazing waterproof case … case for the X is on the way just to prevent scuffing and I know the X is water resistant but I want the waterproof case at some point because it can go deeper for longer (I have dunked my phone before … on purpose.) The case I want isn’t available until January. . And I did stay up til 3am hitting refresh on the Apple side because I wasn’t willing to buy via AT&T – they previously wanted me to enroll in their upgrade program even though I keep my old phones for various uses. And their customer service reps told me I shouldn’t want to keep my old phones (jerks) when I last inquired about a year ago. Still ok with AT&T just want going to buy my phone with them because of those interactions.
- Car failure, oil change, alternator and battery replaced. Traumatic driving experience since the vehicle was failing slowly as I drove it. The oil change was in hopes that they could check why the battery light had come on and I needed the oil changed anyway. Nothing like driving and having lights come on and then the dash light dimming and RPMs stopped registering… while still making it to … close to your final destination. I still had to call AAA from the auto parts store to get it towed to the repair shop (though really they jumped it and I drove it to the repair shop with the tow truck behind me because the dash still wasn’t on.)
- Chiropractor (I’m sore), client meetings, general work odds and ends, updates, upgrades, and respond to community questions for the Southland area.
2.) Important social media & web things:
- Facebook (1) Facebook Messenger plugin enables cross-platform customer service [engadget] Though I’m not sure how much I want facebook invading my business. Half of me wants to use this and half wants to avoid it at all costs due to how Facebook likes to use data. (2) Facebook relaunches Events app with a Yelp-like focus [engadget] or the [verge] version calls it “Foursquare-like” heheh (3) Facebook adds live college basketball games to its Watch tab Does that mean those of us who cord cut the tv MIGHT be able to find UK games more easily? (I was willing to pay ESPN $10/month just for this but it wasn’t an option. I hear they are working on this with ESPN though too…) [engadget] (4) Facebook’s Creator app will help video ‘stars’ create more ‘content’ [engadget]
- Instagram (1) Instagram’s Pinterest-like bookmarked posts hit the web (2) Instagram experiments with letting you follow hashtags I’m seriously interested in this one but it hasn’t shown up for me yet [engadget] (3) Create Instagram stories in your phone’s web browser could computer browsers be soon??? (4) Expanding Uploads from your Camera Roll [instagram]
- LinkedIn LinkedIn and Microsoft team up for a resume building assistant in Word [techcrunch]
- Snapchat (1) Snapchat’s huge redesign will reportedly arrive next month (2)
- Adobe Adobe Scan now uses AI to surface docs, business cards, and receipts in your camera roll [verge]
- Dropbox Viewer info on shared files. [dropbox blog] Check if someone is viewing your file currently as well as the history.
- Google/G Suite (1) Copy comments and suggestions in Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides (so you don’t lose the history of a collaboration) (2) Insert images more easily in Google Docs, Slides, and Drawings now if only I could add an image for a field in a spreadsheet easily…
- Pinterest (1) launched board sections (2) Introduces the next wave of visual search and shopping (3) Introducing Pincodes! (like QR Codes specific to Pinterest) how to use them and how to create one for your business [pinterest blog]
- WordPress the 2017 usage survey is out [wordpress.org] and if you needed a reason to be making sure all of your plugins up to date… [Wordfence]
- Lastpass Updates to LastPass Enterprise: Control for Admins and the Experience Employees Want
- Twitter, Yelp nothing much since the last post … Musical.ly is making noise but I still don’t see it as a full social media platform businesses can really use if they aren’t into music.
3.) I’ve been reading / listening to:
- My takeaway which goes beyond what the article is saying: Technology is moving so fast that labels like “graphic designer” or “advertising agency” or “digital media” seem too restrictive and not descriptive enough for those who want broad crossover in their design and marketing while exploring the bleeding edge of things. The Future Of Ad Agencies Might Not Be Advertising At All [FastCompany] Though I will admit I’ve met some people who call themselves “storytellers” who drive me up a wall and seem to know nothing about value propositions so I don’t like that label either and it seems the one they most identify with.
- A framework for resolving software / development bugs used for something else: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/3354
Steps to reproduce
It’s clear that this is meant for program bugs but in this case they used it because something was lacking a clear roadmap for the entire project so some of the content IS important (I’m not posting this so you to understand Gutenburg better – I’m posting because it’s an interesting adaptation of a framework IRL.)
- James Corden Lives In The Moment. Here’s How I find it interesting to peek into people’s lives when the overview isn’t just superficial. This one is good.
- I’m loving investing and teaching myself how to invest. THIS was amazingly useful to know … How to Track Stock Data in Google Sheets – With GOOGLEFINANCE Function [tutsplus] Though I’m still not sure that my dividend yield info is correct because that is somehow not as straightforward as some other pieces. You should have more than one form of income if you want complex and complete freedom. I also have a set of rules for myself with stocks and at the core I remind myself that it’s gambling and I haven’t earned money until I SELL a stock or get dividends.
- Check and see if your most heavily used apps are compatible before upgrading operating systems (mac, windows, iOS) https://roaringapps.com/apps
- Effective Instagram Marketing for Clients [WPelevation] & I Read More Than 20 Instagram Studies so You Don’t Have to. Here’s What I Found [Buffer] Good checklists.
- Google Ventures HEART framework
- CSI tv show tech is becoming REAL! This AI Turns Unrecognizable Pixelated Photos Into Crystal-Clear Images [FastCoDesign]
- This Is Why We Default To Criticism (And How To Change) [Fast Company]
- https://coinhive.com/ Innnnnteresting … using your website visitors cpus while they visit your website to mine bitcoin. Could be used as ad revenue replacement. Can be abused (overworking machines) or can be done ethically by setting a max load based on capabilities of machines using plugins. If I used this I would make sure I posted a note about how it’s being used.
4.) Creative inspiration:
- How sheep with cameras got some tiny islands onto Google Street View Great marketing and great fun.
- Designing Adobe’s Evolving Brand System
5.) Favorite recent purchase / new tools:
I don’t think I need to count the ways I love this phone, it will probably bore you. 🙂
The case I bought it: Spigen Ultra Hybrid iPhone X Case with Air Cushion Technology and Hybrid Drop Protection • http://amzn.to/2zMVWNc
I like that:
- there’s not much added bulk
- but it makes it easier to hold the phone without feeling like you will accidentally throw the phone (seriously, I felt like the phone could just magically leap from my hand.)
- reviews of this particular case across various models of phones is outstanding. I bought Tim this case for his older phone because he just replaced it (he broke his and the 4s wasn’t sufficient enough for some things he needed to do for a few months while he decided on whether the X was worth it for him.)
The additional case I plan to buy but it’s not out yet: Catalyst Waterproof case for Iphone X
Why do I even want a waterproof case? I have a history of deliberately dunking my phone and even thought the waterproof rating means I SHOULD be able to swim with this, I expect that rating to break down over time and use.
I had this brand on my 5s. They do last about a year to a year and a half with daily use before they start to have problems and lose some waterproofedness (fogging inside.) The current one for the 5s had a small bit of plastic break inside finally.
They also feature a spot for a camera strap which is a great option in case you want to adjust your buttons and swim with it (touch screens do not work underwater.)